moving out of 3G gradually for 4G service, each of the networks have
different frequency bands for their 4G LTE and supported device is going
to be the matter of contention.
4G smartphone, inserting your 4G LTE SIM and start surfing with it.
Guys, it is much more than that. Lots of people were disappointed when
they discovered that their device doesn’t support Glo 4G band 28
(700Mhz) after cat walking into the Glo office to get USIM.
It is important to know your smartphone 4G LTE bands and frequency to
avoid story that touch. I will urge you to fasten up your seat belt and
stay glued to the next information that will follow because I’m about to
embark you in an unknown journey; trust me, you will be safe.
are MTN, Glo and Etisalat. Other networks in Nigeria with 4G LTE
services are Spectranet, ntel, Swift and Smile. We are expecting Airtel
to roll out their 4G services soon. Most of the 4G smartphones in
Nigeria use band 3, 4, 7, 20 or 28. Check out what band your preferred network has below:
- MTN 4G LTE , supports band 20 (800MHz) and Band 7 (2600MHz)
- Glo 4G LTE, supports band 28 (700MHz)
- Etisalat 4G LTE, supports band 3 (1800MHz)
- NTEL 4G LTE, supports band 8 (900MHz) and Band 3 (1800MHz)
- Spectranet and Swift, supports band 40 (2300mhz)
- Smile, supports band 20 (800mhz)
frequencies tend to perform better in rural areas with fewer masts and
they can travel through walls better with decent coverage while the
higher frequencies do the opposite, but they can cope with more users in
populated areas connecting at once. These are technical terms that I
don’t think you need right now, whatever frequency your preferred
network has, you should get some decent upload and download speed. You
could download 1GB file under 4-mins, and this is a fact!
- Download MTK Engineering Mode from Google Play here
- Install the app
- Tap MTK Settings
- Tap BandMode
- Select your SIM
- You will see a list of band mode, from GSM to LTE,
- If you cannot tick the band 28 check box, then forget about using Glo 4G LTE service.
- If you cannot tick the band 3 check box, then forget about using Etisalat 4G LTE service.
- If you are not able tick band 20 or 7 check box, your phone is not
supported for MTN 4G LTE service. If you use Ntel and you can’t tick
band 8 or band 3, then your smartphone has no support for Ntel network.
For those who are not using MTK smartphones, before you purchase your
next 4G Android smartphone, kindly ask via comment box below or simply
tell us which 4G phone you are using and we as a family will help you
out on 4G networks that supports your device.